Memories of a Bittersweet Year  

Posted by Cybil

2010 has finally come and 2009 - gone. I was just thinking how I had spent it, and thinking how I survived it. 2009 was the greatest roller coaster ride of my life... so far. Maybe because this was the year I decided to just be on my own, finally, and just live my life the way I wanted to, or maybe it just was meant to be. Either way, I could really say I don't regret any of it.

2009 was a long year, I could say. I could still recall it starting, its plot thickening, the climax happening and the end approaching. It was a year of mixed emotions, mixed signals and mixed companions. At its end, I could finally say, first hand, that learning about life isn't easy.

As I set off to my journey in life as an individual, I never knew I'd be crying so much; I never knew I could learn so much about myself the hard way. I realized that so much of me was missing, so much was kept away. So, when the time came that I needed to do something about my life, it turned into a mess. Not once, not twice, but so much more than I expected. One mess after solving another; trouble just kept on branching out, and I thought it was going to be endless. One time I was happy, the next I found myself sleeping on the floor with my pillows around me, as if comforting me against my sorrows. The pain never stopped, and when I thought it was over, a greater pain arrived. It was almost as if the world was against me; conniving to take the best of me away, until insanity overpowered me; but I couldn't give up, I had to prove to myself that I could be a stronger me for myself. I kept asking myself when the madness would end, but it soon struck be that madness would only exist if I allow it. Selfish as it may sound, but I had to think of myself first before thinking of others; it was all the solution I could think of to be able to exist again - sanely- with others; it was, however, inevitable to multitask - to balance reflection and interaction. I had to act okay, even if I wasn't. Sympathy wasn't what I needed that time, instead I craved for support, for encouragement. I got, disappointment there, mostly from the people I thought would unconditionally be there for me; fortunately, I had others to keep me company. I never had the chance to stand still, to just stop and "recharge" . I had to work, I had to earn and I NEEDED to live. I passed through all those pain, not without aid, but with companions; not without injury, but with scars to help me remember to choose well; and a realization that not with pride, but with humility will I be able to live with others for others to live with me, as well.

I had started a new chapter even before the year ended, I've already traveled more than a quarter of it. Disappointments still come from the people I've expected them from; but, like I said... I still NEED to live.


Now we experience another sunset in our lives, so we can prepare much better for the sunrise to come.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment